Kronski.blogspot.com

Musings from the poet laureate of frivolity
All Material Copyright © 2008 by Adam Strong


My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Observationist. Prone to posting in bursts, then remaining dormant for a few weeks.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Grindhouse

Janet and I went to see Grindhouse last night.

We only made it through half of it, because of an incident that arose right in front of us, and fully engulfed the majority of the evening.

Peep this, these guys who were sitting off to the right of us were really being quite obnoxious, yelling at the screen, obviously very drunk, talking throughout the movie. When people told them to shush, they made fun of them, then the environment grew more hostile, until I joined the chorus that told them, rather loudly and with more authority to "shut the f%%% up!"

Things continued to grow more hostile between the crowd and this bunch of hooligans. Apparently those who acted properly didnt know how to enjoy this film, because it is a grindhouse film. The propietor came out and spoke to them, but they continued to state their case that the creators of this film had intended the film to be enjoyed in this particular fashion.

At this point Janet and I stand up, and Janet says, "That's it, we're leaving" When one of the guys said "We'll see you outside" to which I replied "Oh yeah?" i didn’t mean it for it to come out this way, but when the adrenaline is pumping, it kind of takes over.

So we go out to the lobby, and the guys follows us and one them tries to get us to take $20.00 to leave instead of getting refund form the theatre. We tell him we don't want his money and that his behavior was inapropriate. He insists that grindhouse movies are meant to be watched this way, continues to to try to make me take his maney and then shoved me right in the middle of the lobby. I tell him I don’t want to fight, and about how just because its a grindhouse film, etc. I finally leave, waiting for Janet immediately outside. (Janet was in the process of getting a refund from the cashier.) Then this same guy comes flying out, with a 20 dollar bill, waving it in front of my face, saying, "I'll give you this as your refund, Quentin Tarantino intended this for..." I back up repeatedly saying, "I don't want your money, I don't want to fight, I just want to go home." He pulls back and cocks me right above my left eye. My guard was already up, and I fell to the ground, and the guy leaned over me and kept punching/wailing on my head. Janet comes running out, screaming and yelling "Get off of him! What are you doing? Are you crazy?", and hits the guy in the face with her purse. Then the dufus's friend steps in, and breaks it up, luckily before the guy could have a go at Janet.

The two dudes leave as we go inside, wondering what the hell just happened.

The cops finally showed up after two phone calls and twenty minutes later. The guy who hit me was still standing around the corner of the theatre outside.

The cops hauled him away in a squad car, and I have to call the DA's office on Wednesday to press charges.

Needless to say, we didn’t finish the film.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Wizened Wizard said...

Damn, bro. That sh*t suks mayjor azz. Hope those pr*cks get what's coming to them.

"This kind of film is very different in that it presents an opportunity to yell back at the characters, like we did when we were kids," he said. "I predict there is going to be a lot of audience participation with these films." -Kurt Russell

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home